Our Own NBA Mock Draft – Top 10
- Cleveland Cavaliers: SF Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
The Cavs won the lottery again and seemingly had an easy choice in Joel Embiid, Wiggins teammate at Kansas unfortunately with news of a stress fracture arriving to the party late the Dan Gilbert and company now have a choice to make. I don’t see how they pass on Wiggins as he has the most upside and is ready to contribute now. Don’t be surprised if the 76ers and Cavs swap spots.
Upside: Paul George/Dominique Wilkins
- Milwaukee Bucks: SF Jabari Parker, Duke
The Bucks get their man, he is probably the most polished scorer right now, oh and he is a Chicago kid right down the road from Milwaukee.
Upside: Rudy Gay/Melo/Paul Pierce
- Philadelphia 76ers: C Joel Embiid, Kansas
To get the consensus #1 pick with the 3rd pick seems great but Joel is a 7 footer with back and foot problems. Talk about a red flag, the good news is that Philly has shown that they don’t mind waiting for a potential star(See Nerlens Noel). Gambling on Emdiid could give them a very nice front court for many years.
Upside: Hakeem Olajuwon
- Orlando Magic: PG Dante Exum, Australia
Orlando seems to be set on Exum assuming he is available and he is really one of the xfactors in this draft. So much late hype usually scares be a bit, but I love big PGs. Especially when you have a small 2 guard. The Exum/Oladipo backcourt could be enough to turn the Magic into a playoff team in the very weak east.
Upside: Early Penny Hardaway but longer and better on D
- Utah Jazz: PF Noah Vonleh, Indiana
Another work out warrior with skills that NBA GMs just cant say no to. He can stretch the floor with his shot but also protect the rim with his length.
Upside: Chris Bosh
- Boston Celtics: PF Julius Randle, Kentucky
Randle before the season was a potential top 3 pick and even though he had a very successful freshman year he has mysteriously fallen in mock drafts. At the end of the day he does things well that most nba players don’t. Rebounds, passes well out of the post and most importantly can play with his back to the basket and finish at the rim. NBA teams get too caught up with measurable and forget the basics sometimes, he is going to be a future All-Star.
Upside: A much much more athletic Zach Randolph
- Los Angeles Lakers: PG Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
It’s questionable to call him a PG he is more of a combo guard, that being said he is a strong player who can find his shot. He reminded me a bit like Eric Gordon at Indiana in that he was just stronger than a lot of his competition. Plus the Lakers need anyone who can dribble and score.
Upside: Young Dwayne Wade
- Sacramento Kings: PF Aaron Gordon, Arizona
He is a dynamic player that does everything well…except score. Which is fine scoring will come but he is NBA ready as a rebounder, passer and defense. That and he seems like the perfect kind of player to fit into a team that plays nothing but ISO ball.
Upside: Shawn Marion/Andrei Kirilenko
- Charlotte Hornets: SF Doug McDermott, Creighton
Jordan loves him some 4 year college players and they are in desperate need of someone who can spread the floor and knock down shots.
Upside: Wally Szczerbiak with a post game
- Philadelphia 76ers: PG/SG Zach LaVine, UCLA
The beauty of not trying to win next year is you can take another super high ceiling high risk guy and get him lots of experience and minutes right away. The dude has insane measurable’s but leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to actual production. None the less meet your 2019 NBA champions Philadelphia 76ers.
Scenarios For The United States To Advance
- United States Win: The Americans are through to the next round as the winners of Group G and will play the second place team from Group H. (Belgium currently leads Group H, followed by Algeria, Russia and South Korea)
- United States Draw: Germany wins the group and the U.S. finishes second.
- Ghana and Portugal draw: The U.S. and Germany advance. Germany wins the group unless the U.S. defeats them.
- United States Loss: The United States would finish second unless Ghana or Portugal won and passed the U.S. on goal differential. The U.S. is plus 1, Ghana is minus 1 and Portugal is minus 4.