The Philadelphia Phillies (51-47) visit the Pittsburgh Pirates (40-58) to open a four-game series at PNC Park, with first pitch at 7:05 PM ET on Thursday. The Phillies are on the back of a series victory over the Braves, and the Pirates a series loss to the Cubs.
As the favorite, the Phillies (-206 on the moneyline to win) take the field at the Pirates (+172). The matchup on the mound for this contest is set with the Philadelphia Phillies looking to Zack Wheeler (8-5), and Zach Thompson (3-7) answering the bell for the Pittsburgh Pirates. The over/under for this game is set at 7.5.
Phillies vs. Pirates Predictions
Phillies vs. Pirates Betting Odds
Latest Sports Gambling Podcast Video
Phillies vs. Pirates Last 10 Games Betting Performance
- Philadelphia has a 1-3 record from the four games it was moneyline favorites over its last 10 matchups.
- Over their last 10 matchups (all had set totals), the Phillies combined with their opponents to hit the over on the total six times.
- Philadelphia’s ATS record is 5-5-0 over its past 10 games.
- Pittsburgh has played as the underdog in 10 of its past 10 games and has won two of those contests.
- The Pirates and their opponents have combined to hit the over four times in their last 10 games with a total.
- Pittsburgh has six wins against the spread in its last 10 chances.
Phillies vs. Pirates Starting Pitcher Betting Trends
Projected starter: Zack Wheeler
- The Phillies have a 9-9-0 ATS record in Wheeler’s 18 starts that had a set spread.
- The Phillies have been the moneyline favorite in 16 of Wheeler’s starts this season, and they went 8-8 in those matchups.
- Wheeler’s team has a 9-9 record in his starts this season.
- Wheeler’s starts with a set total this season have gone over the run total in 10 of 18 contests.
Projected starter: Zach Thompson
- Thompson’s team is 7-9-0 against the spread this season in his starts.
- His team has been victorious in 33.3% of the games he’s started as the moneyline underdog with a record of 5-10.
- Thompson’s team has won six of his 16 starts this season.
- Out of Thompson’s 16 starts with a total this season, seven have hit the over.
Phillies Batting Leaders
- Kyle Schwarber paces the Phillies in home runs (31) and runs batted in (61).
- Schwarber ranks second in home runs and 14th in RBI among all hitters in MLB.
- Rhys Hoskins has 18 doubles, two triples, 19 home runs and 47 walks while batting .242.
- Hoskins ranks 21st in homers and 63rd in RBI among hitters in MLB action.
- Hoskins heads into this matchup on a two-game hitting streak. In his last five games he is batting .211 with a walk and an RBI.
- J.T. Realmuto has 14 doubles, two triples, nine home runs and 27 walks while hitting .257.
- Realmuto heads into this matchup on a nine-game hitting streak. In his last 10 outings he is batting .400 with three doubles, two home runs, four walks and nine RBI.
- Alec Bohm’s .293 batting average paces his team.
- Bohm heads into this game on a 12-game hitting streak. In his last 10 outings he is hitting .472 with three doubles, two walks and six RBI.
Pirates Batting Leaders
- Bryan Reynolds is batting .254 with 15 home runs and 32 RBI. All three of those stats lead Pittsburgh hitters this season.
- In all of Major League Baseball, Reynolds is 39th in homers and 158th in RBI.
- Ke’Bryan Hayes has 86 hits and an OBP of .323 to go with a slugging percentage of .353 this season.
- Among all major league batters, Hayes is 249th in home runs and 183rd in RBI.
- Hayes has hit safely in three straight games. During his last five outings he is batting .250 with a double and a walk.
- Michael Chavis leads Pittsburgh in RBI with 32 while batting .236 with 10 home runs.
- Ben Gamel has collected 49 hits this season and has an OBP of .336. He’s slugging .375 on the year.
- Gamel brings a two-game hitting streak into this game. In his last five games he is batting .200 with a double, four walks and an RBI.
Where To Watch Phillies vs. Pirates
*Confirm FuboTV’s schedule of programming for exact games available
Looking for MLB predictions? Go here for all of our free MLB picks.
Looking for the best bonuses and offers from online sportsbooks? Check out BetSGPN, your home for online sports betting.